The Black Country Living Museum represents the period leading to the industry revolution. The area was rich in coal, ironstone, fireclay and limestone.The Black Country was the biggest contributed of ironstone in the UK due to steam and its canals. The Back Country is know for ‘black by day and red by night’ due its fires of blast furnaces, forges and kilns. The Black Country dates back to the 1830’s and is a collection of about 20 towns.
Rolfe Street Public Bath, Smethwick
The building was built by the Board of Health and opened in May 1888. There was a shortage of water and lack of space and the expense of baths made it difficult for the average working class family. From the 1840’s Public baths were established through pressure of public reformers.
A former horse tram deport in Darlington, Wolverhampton.
One of the buses used at the museum.
The Conway Garage, Near Fighting Cocks, on Wolverhampton to Dudley Road.
The Garage belong to Alexander Broome 1903 – 1987. Alex was apprenticed to the Sunbeam Motor Company until 1919 and then transferred to the company’t experimental racing team in the 1920’s.
The war memorial consisting of a bronze British solider. Originally erected in 1923 at William Butlers, Springfield Brewary, Wolverhampton to commentate those who had fallen in the First World War and those who served and survived.
Cast Iron Houses, Birmingham Road, Dudley.
Typical new style of council houses, designed to provide fresh air, light using llarge windows, gas lighting, a coal fired kitchen range, indoor wc and a fitted bath with running hot and cold water.
In 1712, Thomas Newcomen (1663 – 1729) from Dartmouth in Devon invented the world successful steam engineer in, which mechanical work was achieved by a piston moving cylinder.
The Toll House was built in 1843, it stood at the Littleworth Gate, Woodsetton on the Sedgley to Tividale Turnpike Road, which was authorised by Act of parliament in 1841.
Jesushah House, Coopers Bank, Gornal Wood.
It was probably built around 1847 when Cooper Bank consisted of a few cottages scattered around the coalmines, quarries and brickworks in the area. in 1881, the cottage was occupied by Benjamin Meredith, a bricklayer from as early as 1900’s – 1984.
Lench’s Oliver Shop, Toss, blackheath
Lench’s Oliver shop was built between 1908 and 1910 by Onan Lowe, an oddworker. Oddwork is a Black Country Term for making of miscellaneous small items of wrought iron by hard.
Oliver is a spring loaded hammer operated by a treadle, which allowed the blacksmith to guide or manipulate the metal being forged with both his hands as they worked. The tension cam from an overhead ash pole or a large metal spring ensuring the hammer heads returned to the upright position.
Part 2 will follow in a few days. Enjoy
You must be logged in to post a comment.